How To Build A Better Salad
When a lot of people hear the word “salad” they immediately cringe.
Salads are diet food. Salads are boring. Salads are depriving. Salads are nothing more than bowls of lettuce.
Not the way I make ’em, honey!
There are so many ways to makes salads yummy and enjoyable.
And believe it or not, the secret is creativity. I love tossing cooked warm veggies on top of raw veggies. I also love adding other unexpected things like fruit, sweet potatoes, or fried eggs.
Mix and Match
Here’s your virtual salad bar! It’s a list of ingredients that I often choose from when building a salad.
Egg (hard-boiled and fried)
- To keep salads healthy, in particular at the salad bar, you must be conscious of how much dressing you’re using and the quality of the dressing (no fake stuff on those beautiful veggies!).
- Go easy on the cheese, bacon bits, croutons, and even dried fruit and nuts.
- Choose spinach, kale, or mixed greens rather than iceberg lettuce. They are more nutritious.
- Add some protein. Fish, grilled chicken, eggs, beans, and tofu are all great options.
- Try to add as much color as possible. The more color on your plate, the more vitamins go into your body.
Do you like salads? What are your favorite foods to add to them? As I’m sure you’ve all figured out, any salad is perfect to me if it is topped with salmon.
Thanks to everyone who wished me a speedy recovery! I’m still battling a slight headache, but I do feel a bit better. It must have been all of your good thoughts. 🙂
Have a wonderful day!