I love love love makeover shows. Love them.
Have you ever noticed that there is always some deep dark reason why the woman to be made over is an unfortunate dresser or has frizzy hair?
The woman who only wears Smurf t-shirts is holding onto her youth. The woman wearing a spiked dog collar misses her childhood pet bulldog (named Spike, of course).
Earlier this week, I decided that I needed a mini makeover. There wasn’t any earth-shattering reason though. I was just a girl who was bored with her hair.
Two and a half inches lost and several layers later, I have a new cut.
It’s nothing drastic (or maybe even noticeable to most people), but the haircut made me feel better and pulled me out of my hair rut.
This leads me to my top 10 ways of pampering myself.
- Get a haircut. Are you shocked? 😉 Seriously, even a little trim or a shape-up can make a person feel worlds better.
- Go for a walk. I love taking walks with Emma in the afternoon. It clears my head, gets me energized, and allows me some time to breathe in the fresh air.
- Treat myself to coffee or the juice bar. When I was working in an office, I’d make getting Dunkin Donuts coffee every Friday my special little ritual. It felt like my reward for making it through another painful week at my desk! Plus, saving coffee runs for a special occasion is worlds cheaper than buying it every single day.
- Take a shower or bath (if you’re a bath person, which I am not). When I am feeling cruddy, a shower usually makes me feel invigorated, especially if I do some dry brushing beforehand. There’s nothing like taking an evening shower and then putting on some comfy clothes and curling up with a book or a chick flick.
- Sip a cup of tea. Tea and relaxation just go hand in hand, don’t they? You cannot drink tea without relaxing just a little bit. It has been scientifically proven to be impossible (that’s my hypothesis anyway).
- Read a book or a new magazine. When I get a new issue of Self, Women’s Health, Health, or In Style, I am the happiest magazine junkie you’d ever want to meet. Because these magazines actually contain useful information rather than garbage, I don’t feel guilty about reading them at all. And fine, I do read some garbage every so often (Us Weekly, anyone?).
- Clean. Seriously, cleaning can make me feel better. It is difficult to relax when I have piles of anything anywhere in my house. Don’t even get me started on an unmade bed. Unmade beds are banned in my household. When things are in order (and it doesn’t have to be to an obsessive level), my mind feels at ease. A cluttered house equals a cluttered mind. Think about it (unless you have too much clutter in your head already).
- Paint my nails or get a manicure. It always worked for Elle Woods!
- Go the farmer’s market. There is something about them that gives me a natural high. It is just so much fun to people watch and load up on fresh produce and flowers.
- Work out or take a yoga class. This is my favorite way of doing something good for myself. Gotta love those endorphins!
If you feel like you’re in need of some TLC, I hope you’ll try some of these.
What are your favorite things to do for yourself? Do you like makeover shows? If so, what are your favorites?
I’m volunteering at an elementary school today, and I am teaching some second graders how to eat healthy snacks. Should be fun!
Have a great day, and be good to yourselves!